In 1932, R.J. Duggan, turf accountant, asked Patrick Munden to redevelop 32 Dame Street for him. Munden was born in Allahabad, India, in 1883, the son of a sergeant major in the Indian Army. After his father’s death from influenza on 11 April 1890, he was brought home to Dublin. Following stints in the offices of various architects and building contractors, Munden opened his own office in Exchequer Street, Dublin, in 1913. He was at the same time active in politics and was a keen supporter of the Irish Language Movement. He was a member of the Irish Volunteers and marched to Howth in the gun-running episode of 1914. At the time of the Easter Rising, though not himself in action, he was arrested and held for a while in Dublin Castle. He stood unsuccessfully as a parliamentary candidate in the general elections of 1919 and 1923. Such diversions did not prevent the growth of his architectural practice though wiht few exceptions, most notably the hospital building scheme for the Co. Mayo Board of Health which he designed in the 1930s, all his work was in the city and neighbourhood of Dublin. This drawing was executed by Munden’s pupil and assistant Fergus Ryan, who established his own architectural and town planning practice in 1933. Duggan’s new betting shop opened for business in 1930, and, while the turf accountant had moved on by 1948, the front elevation of the building itself remains very much as Munden designed it.